Restoration: TEASER Newport 29'
Designer: Nathaniel Herreshoff;
Originally Built: 1926 by Herreshoff Manufacturing Company, Bristol, RI;
Rebuilt by Ballentine's Boat Shop; Re-launched: 1994.
TEASER: ex PADDY, Ex TIANNA
TEASER is the 4th and final Newport 29 built by the Herreshoff Manufacturing Company. Her three elder sisters DOLPHIN, MISCHIEF and COMET were built in 1913-14, the same period that the Alerion, Herreshoff 12 ½ and the Buzzards Bay 25 were conceived. PADDY, as TEASER was called then, did not spring on the scene until 1926. Her older sisters were very successful on the racing scene, DOLPHIN especially; she has won over 200 races.
TEASERs Resoration Facts:
• The lead was reused, as were the cabin sides, mast, boom, and some of the cabin top.
• Everything else is new.
• Keel & deadwood are longleaf yellow pine.
• Stem & floor frames are black locust.
• Deck beams are sawn white oak.
• Deck is 2 layers of sapele mahogany plywood glued together, covered with fiberglass cloth, and painted with non-skid Awlgrip epoxy.
• Spars are original Sitka spruce.
• Frames are steam bent white oak.
• Transom is 2 layers of cedar plus an outside layer of mahogany, all glued together with epoxy.
• Fastenings are copper rivets and bronze screws and bolts.
• Quarter knees and transom knee are locust and laminated ash.
• Garboard planks & sheer planks are mahogany.
• Ceiling is cypress.
• Hull is single planked Atlantic white cedar.
• Cabin sole is teak.
• Interior cabinetry is white cedar trimmed with mahogany.
• Counter tops are black locust.
• All trim is South American mahogany.
• Brightwork is finished with Awlgrip high solids varnish.
• Topsides are finished with Z-spar semi-gloss enamel and bottom is painted with Interlux Micron Extra.
TEASER Restoration Gallery - select any image below to launch gallery and auto-play... or use keyboard arrows to navigate or controls on image hover. Finger swipe on mobile.
For more information and photos, please visit TEASER's Profile on our Facebook page
TEASER, Herreshoff Newport 29 motoring in at the end of the season.
(Towing BBS built Shellback Dinghy)